Thursday, March 8, 2012

This Post Does NOT Contain Spoilers

Hi, everyone!

Today I wanted to talk about something that drives me crazy: spoilers. I know I'm not the only one that wants to pull their hair out when the ending of a book is spoiled for you. It could be just a friend talking about it, or a reviewer forgetting to write *spoiler alert* on their post, anyway it happens, its aggravating.

I'm what apparently is called a 'purist'. Which makes a lot of sense. Why is that? Well, I don't read spoilers. Ever. I never read the last page of a book first. I don't look at quotes of the day (usually). I don't read chapter excerpts or teasers. I don't watch book trailers. I don't even read cover summaries most of the time. I don't read anything that could contain any sort of spoiler. I'm a very extreme case, and I understand that. But, I hate spoilers. Too many times I've read the back of the book, only to have it tell me something that doesn't happen until 100 pages in. It's maddening! I also get frustrated when people say things such as "OMG the ending!", because that is a spoiler to me. Now I know something crazy happens at the end, so I'm not shocked. That can ruin a book for me. And it's happened to me countless times (particularly with a certain YA author of a popular series who happens to tweet spoilers ALL THE TIME). If I buy I sequel, or the next book in the series I NEVER read the summary. (Seriously. To name a few examples I currently own Pandemonium, Clockwork Prince, Unbroken, and Silence and I don't have a clue what they are about. Just that they'll continue the story of the previous novels) That's just who I am.

A lot of people think I'm odd for the extent I go to to avoid spoilers (see a post later in the week for how far I went for The Fault in Our Stars), but it doesn't bother me. I love getting shocked. I love reading a story and having no clue where it's going to go. I love picking up a book, without the knowledge of what it contains. It's wonderful. On this blog, I'll do my best to avoid spoilers. No review will end with a "And the ending!" paragraph. But if I see that a book trailer is out, I'll post it. I won't watch it, but that doesn't mean you can't! Same goes with summaries. This blog will be as much as of a spoiler-free zone as I can make it!

I really want this blog to be a great place to visit, and place to keep you informed. I'm still getting the hang of everything, but I'm loving it so far! I hope you guys are too!

How about you? Don't mind spoilers? Hate them? I would love to know your opinion!

- Ciara who is lost at midnight

5 comments:

  1. I feel pretty similarly - I almost never read jacket flaps b/c I like to go into the story without knowing what to expect. Sometimes that makes being a part of the blogosphere a little tricky b/c you want to read your friends' posts, but you also don't want to get too much information! I've just kind of figured out whose reviews I like to read b/c they never give too much away. However! I DEFinitely almost always post something about the ending if there's a huge twist. And you know? I don't really see that as a spoiler. B/c if it's part of a trilogy, then you know there's going to be some kind of crazy cliffhanger ending anyway. I'm glad you brought that up though - I'll try to be more cautious about not revealing too much in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply! I'm glad I'm not the only one who rarely reads jacket flaps! I agree with that one! Usually if I see something that sounds like a spoiler, I skip over it. I'm glad to have a different perspective (about the endings) and I do see what you mean. I didn't have a huge issue with it, until a certain author tweeted SO MANY things about the ending that when I finally finished it ruined the book, cause the ending had no impact. So, ever since then, I've avoided them. Thank you again :D I love hearing other people's opinions!

      Delete
  2. I don't like the surprise of the book being ruined; but I do read the synopsis on Goodreads; I usually read the jacket on books; and I am a bit of a trailer whore lol. I always warn people if my review contains spoilers because I don't like to be reading someone's review of a book I haven't read yet then Woops! Don't need to read that one anymore, lol. I go pretty in depth with my reviews so sometimes I slip things out without realizing it - but I try to make sure people know what could happen if they haven't read yet and read my review. Good topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I think it always depends on the person, for how much a spoiler things are. If it's in the plot synopsis, then I don't technically consider it to be a spoiler. I just don't read about it anyways lol. As long as there's warnings, I think that's find. It's the reviews without them that can be annoying. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I hate spoilers and go very far to avoid them...the week that Mockingjay came out, I basically avoided the internet. Usually I will make a not when a blogger I like reviews a book in my TBR pile. Then I'll go back and read their review after I've written mine.

    Welcome to book blogging; it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love myself some comments so if you have one feel free to add it! Hope you have an awesomely book-filled day!