Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Waiting On Wednesday (47): When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine, in which bloggers talk about the books they are most eager for!

This Week's Pick: When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney
Publisher: Little, Brown
Release Date: June 4th, 2013

Filled with humor, raw emotion, a strong voice, and a brilliant dog named Sandy Koufax, When You Were Here explores the two most powerful forces known to man-death and love. Daisy Whitney brings her characters to life with a deft touch and resonating authenticity.

Danny's mother lost her five-year battle with cancer three weeks before his graduation-the one day that she was hanging on to see.

Now Danny is left alone, with only his memories, his dog, and his heart-breaking ex-girlfriend for company. He doesn't know how to figure out what to do with her estate, what to say for his Valedictorian speech, let alone how to live or be happy anymore.

When he gets a letter from his mom's property manager in Tokyo, where she had been going for treatment, it shows a side of his mother he never knew. So, with no other sense of direction, Danny travels to Tokyo to connect with his mother's memory and make sense of her final months, which seemed filled with more joy than Danny ever knew. There, among the cherry blossoms, temples, and crowds, and with the help of an almost-but-definitely-not Harajuku girl, he begins to see how it may not have been ancient magic or mystical treatment that kept his mother going. Perhaps, the secret of how to live lies in how she died. (Summary from Goodreads)

This book sounds powerful. It sounds like on of those books that marks a place in your heart. That makes you smile through the tears. I really cannot wait for this book and hope it lives up to my expectations. It seems like just the kind of book I will love.

Also, look at that cover. This is one of my favorite covers ever. The sun! The shadowed face! The summery feel! The font! Ah! I just want to hug it and hold it and make it be my life. I can't wait for a pretty hardcover copy. This is one of those books I will have to own.

What are you waiting on this week?

- Ciara (Lost at Midnight) 

1 comment:

  1. I think this one sounds good, but soooo sad. I'm not sure I can do it. I like the Japanese element. Great pick!
    Natflix&Books' WoW

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love myself some comments so if you have one feel free to add it! Hope you have an awesomely book-filled day!