Actually though, I feel like we just skipped over September it went by so fast. The blog was silent last month because I was So Dang Busy and was having Lots Of Trouble writing reviews. I didn't get much reading done either! But, I had an incredible September that I wouldn't trade for the world. Here's an update!
Top Three Things I Did (Outside of Reading!)
1. 101 Week!
- This was my third year being a guide (my first as an exec member) and it was incredible, exhausting, and memorable. I didn't get much of anything done that first week of September (and I'm still playing catch-up!) but it was totally worth it.
2. CityFolk Fest! Kodaline! Live Music!
- CityFolk Fest relaunched this year and featured an absolutely incredible line-up. My favourite bands almost NEVER play in Ottawa, so having two of them in one weekend was mind-boggling. I went (along with Jess from Read My Breath Away!) to three of the five days and got to see The Sheepdogs, The Avett Brothers, Of Monsters and Men, and Passenger. I was basically in musical heaven. And then the next week (not part of CityFolk) I got to see the incredible Kodaline live! It was quite the month for live music here in Ottawa.
3. Madly Launch Party!
- Another thing we don't have a lot of in Ottawa is bookish events. So when they do happen, it's always hugely exciting. This month, the lovely Amy Alward launched her new book Madly here in Ottawa! Amy is so sweet and wonderful and I had an awesome time at the launch party. I'll do a full recap (hopefully) this week!
Books, Books, Books!
1) A Curious Tale of the In-Between (Pram #1) by Lauren DeStefano (3 stars)
2) Walk On Earth a Stranger (The Gold Seer Trilogy) by Rae Carson (4.5 stars)
3) Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller (4.5 stars)
Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas
Ruin & Rising (The Grisha #3) by Leigh Bardugo
The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler
Madly (Potion #1) by Amy Alward
A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic #1) by V. E. Schwab
Received for Review
The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan
The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen #1) by Alison Goodman
The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock
A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves #1) by Morgan Rhodes
The First Time She Drowned by Kerry Kletter
The Love that Split the World by Emily Henry
Soundtrack of My September
I don't download a ton of new music last month, but I did listen to a couple of songs on repeat.
"Vicious Love" - New Found Glory (feat. Hayley Williams)
Favourite Lyric: "Living in tension with you still feels better than anything I've ever known."
Why I Love It: Hayley Williams voice is, as always, incredible and the harmonies with New Found Glory are perfect. It's just an awesome, addicting song.
"Laundry Room" - The Avett Brothers
Favourite Lyric: "I am a breathing time machine, I'll take you all for a ride"
Why I Love It: Man, this song just gets me in the gut. I really do love everything about it.
"Victorious" - Panic! at the Disco
Favourite Lyric: "50 words for murder, and I'm every one of them."
Why I Love It: This song was only released at the end of September but I've listened to it approximately a thousand times since then. I'm obsessed.
Looking Forward to October
- October will probably be less life-busy but definitely more school-busy. It'll be midterm/assignment season soon which means I'll be hiding from the world and frantically flipping through textbooks. But! I hope I'll actually have time for more reading and catching up on blog stuff. I've already read two books (which is more than half of what I read last month!) so I have a good feeling!
What did you do last month? What are you most looking forward to in October?
Let me know in the comments!
- Ciara (Lost at Midnight)