TOP TEN BOOKS THAT WOULD BE ON MY YA SYLLABUS
This topic is made for me. I've actually thought about this for YEARS. Although I've never wanted to be a teacher, teaching a university English class on YA is basically a life goal. I just think it would be so much fun to get to talk about and analyze YA with a group of engaged students.
- Themes and imagery just ooze out of this novel and I would love to dive deeper into this story.
- As I said in my review, I really didn't expect how intense this novel would be. There is just so much to unpack here, and I feel like I could write a killer essay on it.
- I'm of the opinion that everyone on this planet should read this book. I think it would be such a powerful read in a high school class setting, and such an important one.
- I adore magical realism, and no one does it like Nova Ren Suma. The Walls Around Us was stunning, and I would love to discuss the different ways it could be interpreted.
- I'll talk about this more in my review (which I hope I'll actually finish by tomorrow!) but this book had So Much Going For It. I would love to have an in-depth discussion about it.
- A really interesting novel that turns the idea of good vs. evil on it's head. Lots of lore and history to be analyzed!
- Stream of conscious writing style, themes of mental health and sibling relationships all packed into a powerful story. I would love to discuss this one in-depth!
- Another book I really believe everyone should read. It's discussions of homophobia and poverty are incredibly important, and Lauren Myracle's writing is powerful.
- I actually recommended this one to student for an essay about a year ago. My favourite book of 2014, Falling Into Place and it's non-linear timeline would be so interesting to discuss in the classroom.
- I have to throw a mystery on this list! (Although The Walls Around Us has a good mystery element). The way this novel is structured (and the reveal, of course!) would be such an interesting topic to discuss.
What books would be on your YA syllabus?
- Ciara (Lost at Midnight)