TOP TEN BOOKS FROM MY CHILDHOOD I'D LIKE TO REVISIT
Whenever I think about books from my childhood, I think about what a weird reader I was. When I was a very little kid, I was obsessed with reading. I loved having stories read to me, I started reading on my own at a very young age, and then I just...stopped. I read on and off but throughout my kind of "older childhood," I didn't read. When I was twelve, I discovered the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella and The A-List series by Zoey Dean. I was obsessed with both, but I never went outside of either. It wasn't until age fourteen when I started reading Twilight that I discovered there were these magical things called YA Books.
As a child though, a lot of books shaped me, and it was so much fun going back and looking at them all. Child-me recommends all of these books with all her tiny heart.
- One of my absolute favourite books as a child. I didn't realize until now what heavey subject matter it contained but Sarah Weeks wrote about it brilliantly. Highly recommend this gem.
- Something I realized when writing this list was that a lot of my favourite books as a kid were written by Canadian authors (which makes me very happy to find out)! Everything On a Waffle, as the title probably indicates, is a really weird book. But I adored it. (I also recently found out there was a sequel that came out a couple years back which blew my mind).
- This was one of the books that actually broke through the older kid me's policy of no reading. I don't remember how I got this book in my hands, but I remember refusing to put it down. It's probably the book I recommend most to kids at work cause it's just a universally AWESOME story.
- Without a doubt, the picture book I had read to me the most. It was well-loved by my parents and tiny-child me. (I still think it's just such a cute, amazing, funny book)
- Another Canadian author! She actually came to my school and did a presentation on The Serpent's Egg (which was set in Ottawa) and I was so entranced. I read and LOVED OBSESSIVELY the first book but never finished the series. I've made it a goal to do just that this year!
- I read the first two of these books at my elementary school and I was obsessed. My favourite series of books as a kid, by far.
- My mom and I read this picture book over and over again. A classic in so many ways.
- I think this was another book I read in school. I remember I was so fascinated by it. Stargirl was different than anything I'd ever read before. I know a lot of people weren't fans, but I really was.
- I read this book in grade six and it stunned me. A powerful portrayal of the hardships face in WWII.
- Another Canadian book, yus! I remember so clearly when I first heard about this book. We had to do presentations in our computer lab about our favourite book. One of my classmates presented this one and it sounded so interesting. I picked it up and I loved every little bit of it. Highly HIGHLY recommend this one.
I could add so many books to this list! I love looking back at all those books that shaped me into the reader. What were your favourite childhood books?
- Ciara (Lost at Midnight)