Thursday, November 22, 2012

All Covered Up: When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney

Author: Daisy Whitney
Release Date: June 2013

This is not a story about grief, cancer, or loss, or even the story of a mother and a son, or a boy and a girl. It’s a story about the two most powerful forces known to man – death and love.

Danny’s mother lost her battle with cancer two months before his high school graduation – the one day that she was hanging on to see. Now Danny is left alone, with only his memories, his dog, and his heartbreaking ex-girlfriend Holland for company. He hardly knows what she wants from him or what to say for his valedictory speech, let alone how to live and be happy anymore.

Then a letter from his mother’s friend in Tokyo prompts him to drop everything and travel halfway around the world to discover his mom’s secrets – to reveal why her final months were filled with so much joy. But yet he can’t find the answers, or escape the complexities of his relationship with Holland, just by crossing an ocean. Yet amid the cherry blossoms, temples and vibrant crowds of the neon city – and with the help of an almost-but-definitely-not Harajuku girl – Danny learns that maybe neither ancient magic nor mystical treatment kept his mother going. Kept her happy. Perhaps the secret of how to live lies in how she died. And how she loved. (Summary from Daisy Whitney's Website)

Okay, this book sounds as if it's going to tear me in two emotionally. Just the description gives me chills, and I'm sure the novel will be a tough yet gorgeous read. I really liked Whitney's debut The Mockingbirds, and have been looking forward to her next read for awhile. And When You Were Here sounds like it's going to be amazing.

This cover...sigh, this cover. It's just stunning. Simply, gorgeously stunning. Everything about it so utterly perfect. The simple things like the font and the tag line are amazing! The cover image itself is atmospheric (setting sun and all that) and I love that the light just obsurces the guy's face so we can only see the outline. I adore the blurred background image and the coloring. I just love love love it so hard. 

What do you guys think? Sounds like a good read? Love the cover? Let me know!

When You Were Here is out in June of 2013!

- Ciara (Lost at Midnight)  

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I have it on my TBR list for 2013 already! Cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this novel! I haven't read either of Daisy's previous novels but they all sound fantastic. And ahh, I love the cover for this one too! <3 Such a nice summer-y feel :) Thanks for sharing, Ciara!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love myself some comments so if you have one feel free to add it! Hope you have an awesomely book-filled day!