Saturday, May 5, 2012

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Title: Catching Jordan
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: December 1st, 2011
Source: Purchased

My Rating: 4.5 Stars
 


What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.
Hearing literally nothing but good things about a book usually puts it on my TBR pile automatically. After the crazy out-pouring of love from the book community about Catching Jordan I knew I had to pick it up. The concept itself sounded interesting (I happen to enjoy football and hot boys) and I was in the mood for a light contemporary.

Catching Jordan was definitely what everyone said it was: fun, heart-warming, and fantastic. It was also pretty unexpected. I thought the plot was going in a certain direction and quickly realized I should not of judged a book by it's summary! There was much more than just budding romance and football plays to this novel. There were ideas of acceptance, choice, and defying boundaries that really added to the overall story.

Of course, the romance was a huge element. Let me just say, I never root for the best friend. It's nothing against the characters, I just always end up choosing the main love interest! This time was different. I was rooting for Sam Henry from page one. As soon as his blond locks and adorable personality popped into the story, I was in love. Yeah, Ty was nice and all, but nothing compared to the squeeze I got when Henry was on the scene. He captured my heart, without a doubt, and I spent the novel hoping he would catch Jordan's. And Jordan herself was great. As a huge tomboy growing up, I was insanely happy to see a tough girl taking on all the boys. She was fierce, yet sensitive, and insanely talented. She knew what she wanted, and she was determined to get it, making me ridiculously proud of her. I also loved the secondary characters. They all had their own back story, and important element in Jordan's tale. The teammates were great fun, and the girls were really sweet. The characters definitely made this story as fantastic as it was.

If you're reading the description and thinking "Ugh, football" fear not! Although the sport is tied in throughout the novel, it isn't overwhelming or difficult to understand. Kenneally does a great job of writing a novel about football that doesn't completely focus on football. As a football fan (now, not a HUGE football fan. Don't start asking me about players and stats. I will stare at you blankly), I loved the sports element. Although, I loved the characters even more.


Overall, although there was a couple things that bugged me (they're spoilers though, so I'm just going to say there were THINGS) I loved Catching Jordan. I read it all and one sitting, laughed out loud, and caught myself smiling many times. If you're looking for a fun, romance, and a touch chick that isn't fighting a corrupt government, check out Catching Jordan!

-Ciara who is lost at midnight

Find this book: Amazon | Goodreads | The Book Depository



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love myself some comments so if you have one feel free to add it! Hope you have an awesomely book-filled day!