TOP TEN DEBUT AUTHORS WHO HAVE ME LOOKING FORWARD TO THEIR SOPHOMORE NOVEL
I have not read nearly as many debut authors this year as I would have liked because UGH LIFE. But, here are ten debut authors I did manage to read and whose books I loved!
1) Lauren Gibaldi
- The Night We Said Yes was a massive hit of nostalgia for me. It was poignant and sweet and wonderful and ugh, I just want to go back and read it all over again. I cannot wait for more books from Lauren Gibaldi! (And I don't have to wait too long because Autofocus (which sounds SO GOOD) is out next June!)
2) Gina Ciocco
- I didn't except to love Last Year's Mistake as much as I did, but it blew me away. I couldn't stop reading, I was completely invested in the characters, and I just wanted MORE. Gina Ciocco is definitely an author I will keeping my eye on!
3) Becky Albertalli
If you haven't read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda I give you permission to stop reading this post right now to go fix that. Absolutely one the best books I've read this year. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype but it was even better than I imagined. Becky Albertalli is an author to add to your auto-buy list. She is definitely on mine.
4) Moria Fowley-Doyle
- The Accident Season was so intriguing and spooky and Irish (which gives it a special place in my half-Irish heart). I can't wait to see what other books Moria Fowley-Doyle will come up with next.
5) Emily Adrian
- Like It Never Happened was a sleeper hit for me. I picked it up thinking it would be a fun, light read, and it ended up being a complete gut punch. Emily Adrian is a treasure and I need her next book as soon as humanly possible.
6) Amy Zhang
- Falling Into Place was my favourite book I read last year. It was so powerful and heartbreaking. It made me ugly cry like nobody's business but also feel so hopeful. I cannot wait to see what Amy Zhang has in store for her sophomore novel.
7) Evan Roskos
- Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets is one of my favourite books and I really wish more people would read it. It is just so so good. Although I haven't heard any news about another book for Evan Roskos, I'm hopeful there will be one coming out in the future.
8) Emily M. Danforth
- I just finished reading The Miseducation of Cameron Post for book club and I adored it. It was a long read but so worth it. (And, that ending YES PERFECT). I hope we'll get more books from Emily M. Danforth!
9) Adam Silvera
- Okay, so. I actually haven't read More Happy Than Not yet. BUT. I know it's amazing. I've only heard incredible things and Adam Silvera seems like a stellar human. And his next book History is All You Left Me sounds so dang good. So he's on the list.
10) Nicola Yoon
- Okay, so. I also haven't read Everything, Everything yet. BUT. This is another book I just feel I'm going to love SO, I put Nicola Yoon on the list as well.
So, what debut authors did you love this year? Any debuts I just need to check out?
- Ciara (Lost at Midnight)