Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (1): Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

Hi all!

I've decided that this year, I'm going to participate in one of my favourite memes: Top Ten Tuesday! I always check out the posts, so I figured I might as well start doing them myself! I probably won't end up participating every week, but I'll try and post them frequently.

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish in which bloggers post their "Top Ten" of whatever that week's theme is! This week's theme:

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

Honorable Mention: The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus trilogy by Brian Keaney
- I just had to include The Hollow People on this list, even though my memory is vague on a lot of the events. This was one of the first (if not THE first) dystopian series I ever read, back when I was fourteen. And it was disturbing. And frightening. And had me both repelled and completely fascinated. This was a world I had zero desire to ever live in, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading about it

10. Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld 
- A world where you have an operation to make you pretty? Well, that's not disturbing or anything. Scott Westerfeld is a master story-teller and his classic sci-fi tale had me examining the world I live in. 

9. Masque of the Red Death duology by Bethany Griffin
- A world where you have to wear masks all the time because the air you breathe is toxic? I'll pass on that one, thank you very much.

8. Blood Red Road trilogy by Moira Young
 
- The thing I love about the Blood Red Road world is how desolate it is. This is a post-apocalyptic world. This is destruction. Throw in the Ton Ton and some distorted "monarchy" and you've got a creepy, broken world that I would probably not last long in.

7. The Chemical Garden series by Lauren DeStefano
- A world where lifespans are cut short, women are kidnapped and married against their will, and life is basically falling apart at the seams. If I lived in this world, my life would be over (for reals, girls only live til they're twenty!) which is something I would not be okay with.

6. Delirium series by Lauren Oliver
- To quote one of my favourite movies, Moulin Rouge "But, a life without love, that's terrible!" Its a pretty disturbing word where parents don't even love their own children. And it's a world I couldn't stand to live in. 

5. The Devouring series by Simon Holt
- Okay, I am easily scared. So having my body possibly taken over and having my mind trapped in a living nightmare? Not my cup of tea. Makes for one terrifying book, though.

4. Gone series by Michael Grant
- Although, heck yes to the cool powers aspect of this book, hell to the no to the Gaiaphage. And Drake. And the dome. AND EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS BOOK. I mean, these poor characters have gone through unimaginable horrors again and again. I would never, ever, want to enter the FAYZ.

3. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
- This book freaked me right out, and had be nervous about going outside for awhile! Disturbing waves of plague, destruction, all topped off by an alien invasion! Fun times. 

2. Unwind dystology by Neal Shusterman
- This. Book. Petrifies. Me. A world where children can be "unwound" (AKA taken apart bit by bit) if their parents can't deal with them anymore? UM NO THANKS. This is such an amazing book though, guys. Disturbing, but amazing.

1. Dark Inside/Rage Within by Jeyn Roberts

- This post-apocalyptic world faces the worst, most terrifying enemy of all: the darkness inside you. You can't trust anyone, not even yourself, from turning into a blood-thirsty savage intent on destroying everything in sight. Without a doubt, the scariest future I could imagine.

What are your top ten this week?

- Ciara (Lost at Midnight)

1 comment:

  1. No top-ten for me, but the Wither world is terrifying, like you said. It's bad enough to die so young and face kidnapping and forced polygamy, but losing your parents so early is abysmally sad. The only way you'd have a mother in your life for even a small length of time is if she were pushed in to motherhood at Cecily's age--also horrifying.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love myself some comments so if you have one feel free to add it! Hope you have an awesomely book-filled day!